WOW. IT'S BEEN A BIG YEAR.
And it's still going! But even amongst the chaos and rush of the end-of-year-get-it-all-done feel, we have found some time to stop, reflect, celebrate what we have achieved so far and get excited about what is to come.
One Roof 2017 in Review
We have become a global and national leader, known as the go-to co-working space based in Melbourne for women-led businesses. It is exciting to know that we are at the forefront of a growing global trend. We were recently featured in the media as a trend setter alongside other well known female focused workspaces and clubs including London's The AllBright and NYC's The Wing. WeWork's $32million Series B investment in The Wing reinforces the global demand for workspaces and environments focused on supporting female founders.
Our home in Southbank doubled in size. We now house over 80 women-led businesses ranging from small businesses to startups to social enterprises, NFPs, consultants and creatives. One Roof has become such a rich and diverse community. We have really ramped up our event space and have been hosting on average 4 events every week. Our clients include startups, schools, universities, corporates and government.
With community and support at the heart of everything we do, we are constantly improving and refining our programs for our members. We are really focused on working with and understanding the needs of each of our members. We take the time to know their challenges, ideal clients and future plans. We work with our members connecting them to subject matter experts, potential investors, clients and advisors, curating networking events and designing workshops around their needs. We are witnessing incredibly fruitful outcomes as a result of such targeted and hands on support.
We partnered with one of Melbourne's coolest new co-working spaces Engine House uniquely housed in a repurposed 19th century tram depot in Windsor adding even more value and location options for our members.
And we became B Corp Certified acknowledging the work we do as a purpose driven and impactful business.
Some of our Members' Greatest Achievements
This year we have seen incredible achievements from our community:
- Fintech startup Finch raised $2.25 million in their seed funding round & were voted top 10 Australian startups to watch in 2018
- Healthtech startup Healthkit has become the most popular health practice management software in Australia & closed a $2.5 million capital raise for international expansion.
- NIMIS Cyber Security was one of the top 10 defence tech startups selected for the TechStars Adelaide accelerator program
- Recruitment firm, Genovate Consulting locked in some major clients for 2018
- Travel management platform, YouLi officially launched to market
- Project Gen Z led another successful trip to Cambodia. In 3 years they have taken 90 entrepreneurs to Cambodia, educating 300 disadvantaged students on entrepreneurship and raised over $375k for their charity partner Sunrise Cambodia.
- Shebah is successfully leading the way for women-only ride share services
- Nanager won the Startup Victoria Female Founder Pitch Night in November.
- Madeleine Buchner, Founder of Little Dreamers, was awarded a Queen's Young Leader and met the queen earlier this year.
We co-hosted and supported a range of successful events throughout the year:
- The Future is Female which raised money for the YHER accelerator program in Africa
- Partnered with The Wonderment Walk to host a Women in STEMM event to raise money for Nicole Fetchet to travel to Antarctica with 80 other female scientists as part of the Homeward Bound program.
- Co-hosted the Startup Victoria Female Founder pitch night which was the largest pitch night of the year. Thanks to MYOB, 4 of the women-led businesses who pitched on the night received 12 months of sponsored desk space at One Roof.
- Partnered with MAP to host an invite-only Female Founder Dinner
- Partnered with Bkindred to host a series of events focused on the future of work.
- It Starts with Me; Diversity & Inclusion in the Investor Landscape which saw Startup Vic put together an expert panel to address strategies for inclusion, diversity and leadership for the future of investment in startups.
- The League of Extraordinary Women hosted a series of Find your Five events
- Education Changemakers was granted LaunchVic funding and hosted Edupreneur
- A series of all-female and all-male executive leadership programs called ChangeUp facilitated by Mim Bartlett
- Girl Geek Academy hosted a range of #MissMakesCode events and their biggest teacher training ever
- Victorian Women in International Business hosted by Trade Victoria
- We ran a one week enterprising program for Camberwell Girl's Year 9 students
- We helped run a Holiday Program for women Sudanese refugees with Stand Up
- Networking event with Business Chicks
A Heartfelt Thank You
Thank you to everyone who has contributed and become part of what makes One Roof such a supportive, collaborative and empowering community. One Roof is nothing without community.
A Big Thanks to our Major Sponsors.
Without the support of Central Equity, One Roof would never have been able to grow so quickly and have such a profound impact on the ecosystem in Australia. Thank you for believing in us and enabling us to support so many women-led businesses.
OPTUS has provided us with the lifeblood of our co-working space.
And Kristen Holden, Startup Manager at MYOB has been a key ongoing supporter, sponsoring events held at One Roof as well as 12 moths of desk space for the following new One Roof members Jodi Geddes and Kate Pollard, cofounders of Circle In, Maggie Scott and Mel Higgins, Cofounders of Parachuute, Lauren Brown, Founder of Nanager and Tali Brash, Founder of The Voices of Movement
And Thank you to our One Roof team
Thanks to our Community Manager Hayley Hewitt, Event Manager Maria Fernandez and Space Host Juhi Somaiah. And there are others behind the scenes helping, mentoring and advising. Together we are a building a brand and community that is providing real and meaningful support for so many individuals and businesses.
There is lots in the pipeline and we are currently working on a big growth strategy for 2018 and beyond. We look forward crossing paths with you if we haven't already, to continue working with our partners, collaborators and the broader community and to bringing you along our journey of growth and impact.
But first, we are all taking a short and well deserved break.
See you in the new year.
Sheree Rubinstein, Founder & CEO xx